This story begins with my poor little boy’s feet going bald and red. The vet said it was a major sign of allergies – and that most dogs allergies are food based. Skip a month ahead and my poor little jack is now on special salmon and sweet potato limited ingredient food and the bald patches are getting larger. Limited ingredient products are pricey and then wait… shouldn’t I put all of these things I’m learning about nutrition to good use?
Dog’s largest allergies are to gluten and chicken – who knew? And guess what major ingredients are in most of their dog food – wheat and chicken.
So the standard treats, with a good 30 ingredients in them, are now being pushed to the back of the shelf. In front – Rusty’s new and improved, gluten free Oatmeal and peanut butter biscuits! (Apparently oats do have similar characteristics as those found in wheat, but they do not bother 90% of people (at the very least) with gluten intolerances. So I’m starting there first.)
If you’d like to give it a go – if just to reduce all the wonky chemicals added to our furry kids diets – the recipe is below!
First I purchased these small treat sized cookie cutters from this seller on amazon.
1. preheat oven to 375
2. Grease a baking tray/pizza tray
3. Add half a cup of oats, 2 cups oat flour and a tablespoon baking powder and mix
4. Add a cup of milk and a cup of smooth peanut butter. This part’s a bit tricky. TG for hand blenders (and cleaning spray…)
5. sprinkle flour on your countertop, plop out dough and knead it. Roll it to about a half an inch thick (this being my first baking experience in this home, a wine bottle was subbed for a rolling pin..)
6. Cut into fun shapes with cookie cutters or you can make squares or strips with a pizza cutter. Bake for 10-20 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies. The original recipe I read was obviously for bigger treats and the first batch is a bit.. er… black.. 😉
7. Let cool and feed to your pup!
My next adventure has to be making health treats for the hubbie (so these don’t get eaten by the humans in the house.)